U21 championship

Under 21 Premier Hurling Championship

1st Round game played in Knocklong , on Tuesday night 21st February at 8 pm under lights.

The match was played in poor windy and wet weather conditions . Monaleen won the toss and elected to play with the elements in their favour , and were ahead 5 points to 4 going into the last minute of the first half .
Murroe Boher had played well in the first 30 minutes , anchored by our six backs , being well organised and controlled in their play , they held the Monaleen forwards to two points from play and three from hard earned frees .
Murroe Boher attack worked hard both while in possession and made it difficult for the opposition . Jack Casey playing on the half forward line contested well in the air and was rewarded with a fine point from play .
Leading into the last minute of the half , Finn Hourigan had a free from his own half , Murroe Boher were driving hard at the opposition full back line , when the ball was driven long into our full back line , won in the air by Monaleen full forward who was tackled in the square and disposessed by Brian Timmons but the referee adjudged a foul and awarded Monaleen a penalty which was converted to leave the score  Murroe Boher 0-04 to Monaleen 1-05 at half time .

Both teams remained in the centre of the pitch durning the half time break , when the match resumed , Monaleen had the first attack and won a free which was converted and took a 5 point lead .
A long ball delivered from Conor Byrnes into the Monaleen Goalkeeper was followed up by Eoin Hourigan who crashed the ball to the net
Monaleen were to trade two more pointed frees , while Kevin Clohessey scored two frees for Murroe Boher ,with one monster free struck by Kevin from his own half , this long conversion with 15 minutes to go showed the Murroe Boher players were prepared to battle this game right to the finish.
Murroe Boher were to go on a score the next two points from placed balls through Kevin Clohessey with every player showing Spirit for the battle ,and working for their teammates .
The next phase of play was punctuated by two great team scores converted and finished off through Kevin Clohessey,Monaleen scored their final pointed free with 5 minutes to go to leave one point between the teams .
Murroe Boher held their shape and played right to the finish with the final score falling to Ross Kennedy with a point from play .
The players gave a honest spirited performance and now face Doon next Tuesday night in Martinstown

Kevin Clohessey (0-8) (6f)
Dylan O’Conor (0-1f)
Eoin Hourigan (1-0)
Jack Casey (0-1)
Ross Kennedy (0-1)

Team lined out as follows
1. Gavin Ryan
2.John Richardson
3.Brian Timmons
4.Barry Cusack
5. Finn Hourigan
6. Conor Byrnes
7. Killian Byrnes
8. Dylan Sheehan
9. Ross Kennedy
10. Karl Cusack
11. Kevin Clohessey
12. Jack Casey
13. Dylan O Connor
14. Eoin Hourigan
15. Jack Barry
16. Andrew Walsh
17.Aaron Kennedy( replaced J Barry at 1/2 time )
18. Shane Mulcahy ( replaced Karl Cusack on 50 minutes)
19. Stephen Coughlan